- 1 pack of beef liver
- 1 whole onion
- All purpose flour
- Vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 TSP Natures seasoning
- 1/4 TSP Season All
- 1/4 TSP Onion powder
- 1/4 TSP Garlic salt
- 1/4 TSP Black pepper
- Dried chives
- Slightly rinse liver and damp dry on paper towel on a large platter plate.
- Season liver with the spices listed above.
- Pour 1 1/2 cup of flour into mixing bowl.
- Dip all 4 pieces of liver into the flour making sure that both sides are coated evenly.
- Place the floured liver back onto plate and put aside.
- Slice 1 whole onion into ring circles.
- In a large fry pan heat up 2 TBSP of vegetable oil.
- Sauté your onions for about 3 minutes until soft but not mushy.
- Move onions out of pan and set aside in a bowl.
- Pour in more vegetable oil so the pan has a thin layer of oil covering the bottom of the pan. Put the pan on medium/high heat.
- Sear liver on both sides until brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside on clean plate.
- With the pan still hot add 1 TBSP of oil to the pan and 1/2 cup of flour.
- Using a wooden spoon or a fork stir the flour and oil together continuously until the flour starts to brown. Keep stirring and stirring.
- Next add 2 1/2 cup of water to the brown flour.
- Stir continuously until you get a good consistency of gravy. For more gravy add more flour and water.
- If the gravy is to thick for your Liking you can add a little water to thin it out.
- Taste the gravy for flavor and season to taste with the spices listed above but don’t over season.
- Next add the liver and onions to the pan of gravy.
- Let simmer in the gravy for a few minutes.
- Use dried chives for garnish.
- Liver goes well with grits for breakfast.
- Liver is also good for dinner with rice and mashed potatoes and peas or whatever vegetable you choose.
- Enjoy Food With Zach Family!! Please leave a review on my website and Facebook page under reviews about how the recipe turned out. Thank you 😊
2 Replies to “Liver & Onions Smothered In Gravy”
I’ve been craving liver and onions for so long now, I didn’t know how to cook it. This was my childhood favorite meal. Thank You for this recipe I’m definitely getting in the kitchen today.
I really appreciate your support!! Please let me know how the recipe turned out today. I hope you enjoy it and please write a review on here and on my Facebook page under reviews about how the recipe worked for you 😀